The 10 Best Intra Workout Supplements Revealed & Explained
We're about to show you what are, in our opinion, the 10 best intra workout supplements of 2021. Of course, we haven't just randomly picked these products. We've done the very opposite and have thoroughly researched every single one of them.
Our ranking system counts in several important factors: product ingredients, formulation, user experiences, and the company behind it.
By looking at these critical points, we can present you with a wide variety of high-quality intra workouts. These aren't just average products – we've found them to be the best of the best.
We know you're excited to check them out, so let's do exactly that.
1. Formula XII
The strongest and best intra workout supplement is Formula XII by Huge Nutrition. We found it to beat every other product on this list simply because it's formulated exceptionally well, making it a potent intra workout.
Seriously, they hadn't messed around when it came to formulating this product. There's a whopping 12 high-quality ingredients in Huge Nutrition's Formula XII, and at over 30 grams per serving, it's unbeatable.
Formula XII has you covered when it comes to pushing you through long and intense workouts. The fast-acting and quality carbohydrates in this product will provide you with rapid energy and power.
But what's even more important is that it also contains clinically backed ingredients to maximize muscle growth and recovery.
- The most stacked intra workout supplement on the market
- Contains carbohydrates that are easily absorbed to fuel your muscles and energy
- Will keep you energized and strong during intense workouts
- Contains clinically proven ingredients
- Ingredients are dosed optimally for rapid results
- Also focuses on maximizing muscle growth and recovery
- Hardens the muscles
FORMULA XII Ingredients
A tub of Huge Nutrition's Formula XII contains 30 servings of one scoop. The recommended dosage is one scoop, which contains the following ingredients:
- 150mg Potassium Citrate. This is an essential mineral required to optimize the production of energy cells within the muscles.
- 40mg Magnesium Citrate. Magnesium is a nutrient that is vital for several of your body's functions. Those functions include energy and muscle movements.
- 10000mg Cluster Dextrin. This compound is an advanced form of maltodextrin that is rapidly absorbed by the body. Therefore it provides your body with a fast source of energy.
- 5000mg Organic ModCarb. Modcarb is a unique source of carbs made out of an all-grain complex. These carbs will improve the quality of your workout and provide you with plenty of fuel.
- 1000mg D-Ribose. This natural sugar could help restore energy levels in your cells.
- 100mg Alpha Lipoic Acid. ALA is a compound with potent antioxidant properties, which reduces inflammation and promotes other bodily functions.
- 3000mg Betaine Anhydrous. Betaine Anhydrous is a scientifically proven compound that could improve muscle performance and body composition (1).
- 3200mg Beta-Alanine. This compound has been shown to help its user increase exercise capacity and decrease muscle fatigue, allowing you to train more intensely (2).
- 5000mg Creatine Monohydrate. Creatine is one of the key ingredients in boosting athletic performance, as it's clinically proven to build muscle and strength (3).
- 2000mg L-Ornithine HCL. L-Ornithine is a non-essential amino acid that could enhance endurance, recovery, and strength.
- 125mg Grape Seed Extract. This extract is rich in antioxidants, which can help reduce blood pressure and improve blood flow.
- 5mg Bioperine. To top off this formula, Bioperine can help enhance the above ingredients' bioavailability, allowing your body to absorb them much quicker.
The Bottom Line
What can we say? Formula XII by Huge Nutrition contains all the right ingredients you should be looking for in an intra workout. A hefty 30-gram serving size is something you don't see every day. Therefore, we find it to be the best choice in 2021.
You can get Formula XII from the official website. Make sure to check out their other bodybuilding supplements as well; they've got plenty of good stuff if you're looking to grow.
The second product we had to feature on our list of best intra workouts is SizeOn by Gaspari Nutrition. You've probably heard of this company as they've been providing high-quality bodybuilding supplements for decades now.
This product is no different and features several blends to help its user optimize several aspects of training. If you're chasing maximum performance, this is a product to check out.
- Massive proprietary blend
- Contains branched-chain amino acids for recovery
- Keeps you hydrated during an intense workout
- Comes in several different flavors
- Helps improve protein synthesis
- Contains fast-acting carbs for energy
- 63g SizeOn Blend (Trehalose, Dextrose, Cyclic Dextrin, Pterostilbene, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Creatine Monohydrate, Creatine MagnaPowder, Disodium Creatine Phosphate, L-Taurine, Sodium Glycerophosphate, Calcium Glycerophosphate, Potassium Glycerophosphate, Sustamine, Magnesium Glycylglutamine).
The Bottom Line
SizeOn is an excellent product to use as an intra workout and has landed on the second spot. It has many different compounds in there that will have you energized, pumped, and hydrated.
Next up, we have Adabolic that is sold and formulated by Steel Supplements. It's their capstone product that consists of many ingredients that'll carry you through high-intensity workouts.
We're convinced it belongs at the top because it contains all the right compounds you should look for in a product like this.
- Contains carbs derived from rice and potato
- Can be purchased in 6 different flavors
- Post, intra, and pre-workout formula
- Quite expensive at $70 per tub
- Helps restore muscle glycogen
- Can help improve vascularity
- 12g GlycoMax™ (Derived from rice and potato)
- 4g L-Citrulline
- 3.5g Leucine
- 3g Glutamine
- 2g Beta-Alanine
- 1.75g L-Isoleucine
- 1.75g L-Valine
- 1.5g Kre-Alkalyn
- 1g Betaine Anhydrous
- 500mg HydroMax™
- 500mg Beta Vulgaris (Beet Root Extract)
- 300mg L-Lysine
- 300mg L-Threonine
- 300mg L-Methionine
- 300mg L-Phenylalanine
- 300mg L-Tryptophan
- 300mg Histidine
- 5mg Bioperine (Black pepper fruit extract)
The Bottom Line
We had to include Adabolic into our list. With such a wide variety of quality ingredients, it definitely belongs at the top. It can be used as a post, intra, and pre-workout, making it perfect for various goals.
The only thing that holds us back is the price per tub, but it does have a hefty dosage. Want to learn more about this product? Read our Adabolic review, where we further dive into this product.
4. Xtend Sport
Right behind Adabolic, we have a product that some of you might be familiar with; it goes by the name of Xtend. This product puts the focus on hydration and recovery and therefore doesn't contain any carbs.
Instead, you'll find the clinically proven 2:1:1 ratio of branched-chain amino acids in this product. 7000mg to be exact, which is a massive dosage. There's also plenty of electrolytes in here.
- 7 grams of branched-chain amino acids (BCAA's)
- Does not have any carbohydrates
- Contains a unique electrolyte blend
- Helps support workout endurance
- Simple yet effective formula
- Third-party tested and certified
- 3500mg L-Leucine
- 1890mg Electrolyte Blend (Beta Power Betaine Anhydrous, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Citrate, Coconut water powder)
- 1750mg L-Isoleucine
- 1750mg L-Valine
The Bottom Line
Xtend Sport might look like a simple intra workout, but it features the essentials one should look for when working out. It contains 7000mg of branched-chain amino acids, which is a significant dosage that could help with muscle repair and muscle fatigue.
On top of that, there's also an electrolyte blend to make sure you stay hydrated. Read more about this supplement in our Xtend review.
Intracell7 by Primeval Labs has made it to the fifth spot on our top 10 best intra workouts. It's a stacked product for athletes looking to fuel their training sessions as it contains over 20g carbs per two scoops. It also has many other ingredients in there that can help with energy, pumps, and performance.
- Have to take two scoops for optimal results
- 20 grams of fast-digesting carbs
- Unique ingredients that can boost workout performance
- Good Mixability
- Also contains essential amino acids
Per 2 scoops:
- 2500mg L-Leucine
- 1250mg L-Isoleucine
- 1250mg L-Valine
- 300mg L-Lysine
- 225mg L-Threonine
- 200mg L-PHenylalanine
- 50mg L-Tryptophan
- 25mg L-Histidine
- 20mg L-Methionine
- 1438mg Electrolyte Blend
- 20000mg Carbohydrate blend
- 2000mg L-Taurine
- 1000mg Glycerol Powder (Glycerpump)
- 254mg Vasodrive AP
The Bottom Line
Intracell 7 is a reliable product provided to you by Primeval labs. It has carbs, amino acids, pump ingredients, and much more to help out high-performance athletes. Read our in-depth Intracell 7 review over here.
In-Kaged is an intra workout brought to you by Kaged Muscle, a science-based supplements company. This product is intended to help you boost endurance and energy and deliver intense strength and skin-tearing pumps. This makes it an all-around great supplement for serious athletes.
- Positive user reviews found online
- Contains fermented amino acids
- Has a lot of citrulline for pumps
- Doesn't use artificial coloring or flavoring
- Tested by an external third-party
- Only 20 servings in a tub
- 5000mg Muscle Fuel Matrix 2:1:1 (Fermented BCAAs)
- 3000mg L-Citrulline (Fermented)
- 1600mg Carnosyn (Beta-Alanine)
- 500mg Coconut Water Powder
- 1000mg Taurine
- 500mg L-Tyrosine
- 124mg Organic Caffeine
The Bottom Line
This product was formulated to help its user fuel his workouts and boosting focus while at it. We like that it optimizes training from different angles, ranging from focus to pumps to hydration. This makes it unique compared to the other supplements available.
7. Purple Wraath
The next supplement on our list is Purple Wraath by Controlled Labs. It's a well-known product that has been on the market for quite some time now. And that's because it's an adequately formulated product with many key ingredients to help enhance recovery and endurance.
- Has a 7000mg EAA Complex for recovery
- Endurance complex to boost energy and workload
- Available in 3 different sizes
- Absorbed quickly by the body
- Doesn't contain any stimulants
- 10mg Niacin
- 10mg Vitamin B6
- 67mg Potassium
- 7000mg PurplEAA Complex (L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Lysine, L-Arginine, L-Histidine, L-Threonine, L-Methionine, L-Phenylalanine)
- 2700mg PurplEndurance Complex (Beta-Alanine, Citrulline Malate, Betaine Anhydrous, Ginger, L-Norvaline)
The Bottom Line
We've added Purple Wraath to this list because it's a popular recovery and hydration product that makes for an excellent intra workout. It contains the right ingredients, such as amino acids and other clinically proven ingredients.
Hydroamino by EVL Nutrition, the name pretty much reveals it, a combination of hydration plus amino acids. It might not be up to par with some of the other products we've mentioned, ingredient-wise, but it's an excellent product to use.
- Contains taurine that also helps with pumps
- Helps with stimulating recovery
- Gluten-free and suited for vegans
- 6 Electrolytes for hydration
- Contains antioxidants
- 1000mg L-Taurine
- 500mg L-Alanine
- 500mg Calcium Potassium
- 500mg Freeze Dried Coconut Water
- 50mg Organic Green Balance Alkalizing Blend
- 50mg Betta Berries Antioxidant Blend
The Bottom Line
Hydroamino doesn't contain a whole lot of amino acids or carbs but instead focuses on hydration. With six different electrolytes and antioxidants, you'll find that it helps keeps your workout performance on point.
Number nine on our list is a product called Aminolytes by Beast Sports. It's not one of our first picks because we think it's missing easily digestible carbs. But that doesn't mean it's not a good intra workout – it still contains many beneficial ingredients such as amino acids and electrolytes.
- Contains 10 grams of amino acids (Both EAA's and BCAA's)
- Has several electrolytes to replenish them during intense workouts
- Dissolves quickly and tastes good
- Available in multiple flavors
- Helps accelerate muscle recovery and repair
- 10mg Vitamin B6
- 66mg Calcium Silicate
- 35mg Magnesium Phosphate
- 248mg Sodium
- 45mg Potassium
- 5000mg Branched Chain Amino Acids (Instantized L-Leucine, Instantized L-Valine, Instantized L-Isoleucine)
- 5000mg Amino Axid Matrix (L-Alanine, L-Glycine, L-Lysine HCl, L-Phenylalanine, L-Threonine, L-Histidine, L-Methionine)
- 1100mg Rapid Recovery Electrolyte Blend (Sodium Phosphate, Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Amino Shield)
The Bottom Line
Beast Sport's Aminolytes is a reliable product to consume during your workout as it provides you with amino acids and electrolytes. It might not be our top choice because it's missing carbs, but there's still a wide variety of good ingredients that will support your performance.
10. All Day You May
Finally, we have all day you may, a product produced and sold by 5% Nutrition. This product became number ten on our list because of its solid muscle and joint recovery formula.
Not only does it contain plenty of branched and essential amino acids, there are also electrolytes in this product to make sure you stay hydrated during your workouts.
- Mainly contains amino acids for recovery
- Doesn't have carbs for energy, pump, and power
- Helps support and recover joints
- Replenishes vitamins and minerals
- Doesn't contain any calories or sugar
- 30 Servings per container
- 6000mg BCAA Blend (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine)
- 2800mg Conditionally Essential Amino Acid Blend (L-Glutamine, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate, N-Acetyl L-Cysteine)
- 960mg Amino Acid Support Blend (L-Taurine, Raw Coconut Water Concentrate, Alpha-Hydroxyisocaproic Acid, Bromelain, Blueberry Powder)
- 800mg Intra-Cellular Buffer Blend (Beta-Alanine, Dicalcium Phospate, Sodium Bicarbonate)
- 600mg Joint Support Blend (D-Glucosamine Sulfate 2KCL, Methylsulfonylmethane)
- 205mg Essential Amino Acid Blend (L-Phenylalanine, L-Threonine, L-Lysine HCL, L-Histidine HCL, L-Tryptophan, L-Methionine)
The Bottom Line
With 5% Nutrition's All day you may we finish this top 10 best intra workout supplements. This product mainly focuses on muscle and joint recovery, and with plenty of branched-chain amino acids, it does precisely that.
Unfortunately, it does not contain any fast-acting carbohydrates to provide you with energy and power during a training session.
The Benefits Of Intra Workout Supplements
Now that we've shown you the best intra workout supplements available in 2021, you're probably wondering what these products have to offer.
Well, there are many reasons why you should consider adding an intra workout supplement to your routine. In our opinion, they're one of the staple supplements every serious athlete should have in their stack.
Allow us to walk you through these products' main benefits and what to expect from taking one.
1. They Boost Energy And Power
Tired and fatigued during your intense workout, but want to continue pushing your body to the limit? Or are you merely looking to get the most out of your training sessions?
Then an intra workout with carbs is exactly what you need.
The fast-acting carbohydrates found in most of these products is the main reason they are so effective at rapid energy boosts. Your body absorbs them much faster than regular, simple carbs.
They'll fuel your entire workout, providing you with plenty of energy and power to break down as many muscle fibers as possible.
2. They Improve Recovery Rate
If you get yourself a properly formulated intra workout such as Formula XII, you'll find that they also can improve the rate at which you recover. Having your recovery rate improved can be a game-changer since it plays a massive role in the growth of new muscle tissue.
Certain promising ingredients, such as branched-chain amino acids, creatine, and betaine anhydrous, can significantly impact recovery.
Take creatine, for example. It's one of the most prevalent compounds when it comes to boosting recovery. It's even been clinically proven to improve recovery, muscle growth, and workout performance (1).
You're not just taking a supplement that helps you during the workout. An intra workout goes much further than that and enables you to improve recovery, which leads to more muscle growth. That's why we consider it to be such an essential product for those that are serious about changing and improving their physique.
3. They Keep You Hydrated
Making sure your body and muscles stay hydrated during a training session is essential. Intra workout supplements often contain a wide variety of electrolytes.
Electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, and magnesium are necessary for various processes in the body. Those processes include muscle function and contraction, which you obviously want to have optimized as much as possible.
When you work out intensively, your water goes out of the body because your sweating; this is when you go through your electrolytes (2). So, those electrolytes must get replenished with the help of an intra workout supplement.
By ensuring you're getting in enough electrolytes, you will stay hydrated through the entire workout, which helps your overall performance.
Should Intra Workouts Contain Carbs?
When you look at the supplement facts of different intra workout supplements, you'll find that many contain carbohydrates. It's typically between 10 to 30 grams per scoop, depending on what the source is.
Carbs, short for carbohydrates, are essential in an intra workout supplement. You're going to want to get a product that contains easily digestible carbohydrates, such as Clusterdextrin or Modcarb.
Having a source like the ones mentioned is extremely important for intense workouts. This is because your body and muscles will be able to use those fast-acting carbs as a source of energy during a workout.
Let's take Formula XII by Huge Nutrition as an example. It contains three sources of carbohydrates, one of which is Clusterdextrin (Highly branched cyclic dextrin).
Clusterdextrin is an excellent ingredient and great example because it has favorable properties that allow your body to digest it much, much faster than regular carbohydrates. Even research has shown it to boost exercise performance (1).
Personally, I feel that these high-quality carb sources do wonders during an intense workout session. It's like your body and muscles instantly absorb them and proceed to turn them into energy. I'm always able to push myself beyond my limits when I'm using one of these products.
So if you're looking for an intra workout supplement that can help you boost your performance, get one that contains quality carbs.
The Bottom Line
We've shown you what we consider to be the best intra workouts of 2021 based on ingredients, user reviews, and our own experiences.
These products are, by far, the most advanced products to maximize performance during your workouts.
Not only do they provide a direct source of energy and hydration, but some can also help improve recovery and muscle mass.
Take a look at one of the products from our top 10; we recommend going with Huge Nutrition's Formula XII due to the wide variety of scientifically proven ingredients.
Are you currently using an intra workout? Share your experience with this type of supplement in the comments.